The perfect time to sign up and save a life.
Every year, the Canadian Red Cross observes Red Cross month in March to honour the efforts undertaken by the Red Cross organization as a whole. The Canadian Red Cross is one of 190 National Societies, yet its unique impact can be felt in a variety of ways, both locally and internationally for some of the amazing work they’ve done.
From 2011 to 2012, the Canadian Red Cross assisted 46,719 people in Canada affected by disasters and more than 100,000 hours were devoted by volunteers to help those in need after disasters. From providing access to food, water, shelter and clothing to offering a range of services that enhance the skills and knowledge of individuals affected by adversity, Canadian Red Cross programs give people assistance when they need it most.
Still not convinced it’s an awesome organization? Consider these facts:
- Every three hours, the Canadian Red Cross responds to disasters (big and small) in Canada.
- The Canadian Red Cross has been world leader in First Aid Training for over 50 years.
- 1 in 5 Canadian children report being bullied regularly. Canadian Red Cross offered violence, bullying and abuse prevention workshops to nearly 700,000+ Canadians in 2014.
How can you celebrate Red Cross month?The month of March can be the perfect time to explore opportunities to engage with the organization in more impactful ways. How about starting with some Red Cross courses at MCG, where you will learn the foundational elements required to save a life and provide emotional support.
Our Red Cross programs include:
- Psychological First Aid: Develop a personal understanding of the effects of stress, loss, trauma and grief on others. This program puts emphasis on self-care and personal protection, and learners will be introduced to the Red Cross ‘Look, Listen, Link, Live’ model, a resilience-building approach to emotional, psychological and social well-being. Graduates learn how to support themselves and others to cope with the effects of various types of stress.
- Standard First Aid with CPR / AED: The Standard First Aid with CPR / AED is designed by the Red Cross and is the standard course required to work on most oil and gas sites. This comprehensive course provides participants with skills to respond to standard emergencies in the workplace, their homes and their communities., and meets the legislative requirements for provincial/territorial worker safety and insurance boards. It includes the latest first aid and CPR guidelines.
You’re only a weekend away from making a big difference! Learn about all of MCG’s programs today!