The success of our students is important to us. Through our relevant training and top instruction, students are empowered with the confidence and skills they need to become leaders who serve their communities. This includes adhering to our rules, regulations and policies, outlined below:
Classroom attendance is compulsory. While we recognize that emergencies happen, those students who miss more than one class will be required to make an appointment with the Registrar to review their student status.
It is the responsibility of the absent student to arrange to obtain all relevant class material-notes, handouts, correspondence lessons, etc. from classmates.
Students unable to attend class are responsible for submitting all required materials on time, and for obtaining the next lessons and assignments as well. It is the responsibility of the absent student to arrange to write a missed exam prior to or at the next scheduled class. Lessons may be emailed, faxed or mailed.
Attendance at exams is compulsory. Only approved excused absences supported by documentation, and notified prior to the start of the examination will be rescheduled. The Registrar will guide you through appropriate documentation required.
Passing grades for Massage Therapy is 75% and Medical Office Assistant and Unit Clerk is 60%. It is a requirement of the student to keep records of their grades to ensure they are meeting this standard. If students are concerned about their academic standing they should request an appointment with the Registrar as soon as possible.
Students who fail to submit their assessed components prior to the examination, will not be permitted to write the corresponding exam, and will receive a zero for the incomplete component. Students unable to attend class are responsible for submitting all required materials on time, and for obtaining the next lessons and assignments as well.
Policies Specific to Massage Therapy Programs
Business and Practicum Assignments
Students will be supplied with a complete package that covers the requirements on the first day of classes. Each required assignment is to be submitted on Saturday at the beginning of the massage class. Failure to submit these assignments on time will result in a zero. Students unable to attend class are responsible for submitting all required materials on time, and for obtaining the next lessons and assignments as well.
Our intent is to provide a positive, comfortable, informal environment conducive to learning. Argumentative, confrontational or negative behavior is unacceptable. Respectful behavior towards self, instructors and fellow students is compulsory.
Students are required to dress in a professional manner suitable for a health care career at all times. You will be required to wear an MCG Career College scrubs in labs. In addition:
- Clean cargo, yoga or scrub pants are all acceptable. Blue jeans are NOT permitted
- No long, painted or artificial nails
- Minimal jewelry and makeup
- No exposed cleavage or torso skin
- No heavy fragrances/perfumes, oils, aftershave, deodorant or hair products
- No bare feet. Students may wear any type of clean INDOOR footwear with or without socks
- Long hair is to be tied back during labs
Cell Phones, iPods, Etc.
These are all very disruptive in the classroom and are not allowed. They can be used in the student lounge, but not in class. Those of you with small children will be able to check for messages regularly during breaks. Please contact your instructor directly if you have a special situation that needs to be addressed.
Students with concerns must address them in private with the relevant instructor, not during class time. If the concern is not rectified to the complainant’s satisfaction, the student is requested to submit the complaint in writing to the Registrar for consideration and resolution. If the complaint is not resolved at this level the complainant will be provided in writing with further options.
Students that attend class or participate in any class related function in a seemingly intoxicated state will be asked to leave immediately and will receive a written final warning. A second event will result in immediate termination of the Student Contract.
A student will be given a written final warning. A second event will result in immediate termination of the Student Contract.
Home Based Assignments
Assignments are to be completed at home and brought to class completed. Any assignments that are worked on during class time will be confiscated and receive an immediate zero.
Practicum and Work Experience
Students are required to obtain 56 hours of work experience during the program.
Students are required to obtain 280 hours of work experience during the program.
Students unable to successfully complete the required practicum in the required time frame will not be able to successfully complete the program. All school rules apply during practicum placement.
Medical Office Assistant and Unit Clerk
You will be placed in a practicum spot that is either Unit Clerk or Medical Office Assistant. There are some spots that may combine and utilize both skills sets. Attendance in practicum is mandatory. Any extenuating circumstances keeping you from practicum requires notification to your instructor prior to the commencement of your practicum shift. They will guide you through the documentation necessary to excuse your absence. You will be assigned the practicum spot, and changing spots is not allowed.
STUDENTS WHO FAIL TO MEET REQUIREMENTS
Every attempt is made to assist the student in successfully completing the program. In the event that problems arise, the following procedure will come into effect:
- Those students having difficulty with the material are required to request an appointment with the relevant instructor(s). Every attempt will be made to provide the student with a supportive learning environment that will help them understand the materials.
- In the event that a student’s marks do not improve on subsequent examinations, the Registrar will issue a Letter of Academic Probation stating the improvements necessary to successfully complete the program.
- In the event that the student’s marks do not improve sufficiently to maintain the required average, or if it is obvious based on the current mark average that the student will not be able to successfully complete the program, the student will be provided the option to retake the program at the next available sitting only.
- Students that are unable to meet the required class average, and/or students that consistently fail to complete assignments, fail to attend required classes, or are unwilling to apply themselves appropriately will be issued a Letter of Academic Failure and will be asked to leave the program immediately